How come Missouri was one of the most fought over states during the war? Was the fighting there really just a continuance of the boarder war with Kansas?
I think the border war was a little bit of a continuation. There was a lot of bad blood between both Kansas ans Missouri. I do find if very interesting to know that most of the war in Missouri was fought in a guerrilla warfare style of battle. I am surprised that at some point the south did not send a lot of troops to try to fix this war style in Missouri.
I think that the hype from the personal fighting between Kansas and Missouri made the fight for Missouri a little more important. I think people felt that Missouri had picked on Kansas too long and that was what made it important.
I think alot of the violence has to do with the fact the MO and Kan were the frontier at this time. This is were the real wild live free type people are living. From the start of America we see that those people who live on the edge of the union are more familiar with violence and more willing to use violence as a means to an end. I think these ideas and life style is what fueled most the of the violence as well as the style of violence. I don't think many viewed themselves as men of an amry, just local boys with a bone to pick.
3 comments:
I think the border war was a little bit of a continuation. There was a lot of bad blood between both Kansas ans Missouri. I do find if very interesting to know that most of the war in Missouri was fought in a guerrilla warfare style of battle. I am surprised that at some point the south did not send a lot of troops to try to fix this war style in Missouri.
I think that the hype from the personal fighting between Kansas and Missouri made the fight for Missouri a little more important. I think people felt that Missouri had picked on Kansas too long and that was what made it important.
I think alot of the violence has to do with the fact the MO and Kan were the frontier at this time. This is were the real wild live free type people are living. From the start of America we see that those people who live on the edge of the union are more familiar with violence and more willing to use violence as a means to an end. I think these ideas and life style is what fueled most the of the violence as well as the style of violence. I don't think many viewed themselves as men of an amry, just local boys with a bone to pick.
Post a Comment